Milwaukee River Flushing Station Foundation Repair

 
struct-flushing-station-2.jpg

The Milwaukee River Flushing Station, built in 1888, was once used to pump millions of gallons of water from Lake Michigan to the Milwaukee River. Part of the historic building was converted to a coffee house, while keeping the flushing station operable and viewable, making it a lakeside landmark.

Kapur staff provided site design services and structural investigation and rehabilitation for the foundation design under two separate contracts with the MMSD. The one story building was monitored for foundation settlements and bearing walls movements. The building was also inventoried for visual structural deficiencies. The tasks included geotechnical and foundation exploration to determine type and material of existing foundation, the underlying soil, and investigation of various structural / geotechnical remediation alternatives. In addition, the project included brick wall replacement and tuck-pointing with the same original motor composition and color. Kapur managed and developed construction-ready bid documents, and followed this project through construction with several site visits during the work.

Our site design services for the one-acre parcel included storm sewer, sanitary sewer, water main, grading, paving, erosion control, storm water management, and utility relocations. This project also included hydraulic analysis and design of a StormTreat system that provides storm water quality prior to discharging to Lake Michigan. This StormTreat was the first of its kind to be installed in the City of Milwaukee.